Spark Jump is subsidised by the Spark Foundation and offered through Spark Jump community partners. Jump Start costs $15 for a pre-paid 30 GB data pack and WiFi modem use; the data-pack expires after 30 days and so must be topped up monthly.
You can join Spark Jump through participating libraries and community organisations – but only if you are a family with school-aged children, without an internet connection in your homes, in a coverage area.
Go straight to 3 quick & easy steps to Spark Jump
Why would I want Spark Jump?
Spark Jump is great for families who
- have school-aged children
- know that home internet access is important to their child’s education and can really lift their academic achievement
- struggle to pay larger fixed monthly internet charges but can manage $15/month
- don’t want to be tied to a contract, but want the flexibility of pre-pay that you can renew or not as you wish
It’s also good for accessing health, government, shopping and job sites, and so can increase your employability, financial and general well-being. It’s easy to keep an eye on how many GigaBytes you’ve used, so you don’t run out unexpectedly.
Can I get Spark Jump?
Spark Jump is not available for everyone, and it is not available through the Spark Foundation or for purchase at Spark stores. Spark Foundation works with local community-based organisations (Spark Jump providers) who identify and refer eligible families. You and your family are eligible if ALL these apply:
- you are a carer for school-aged children (up to age 18)
- your household does not have an internet connection
- your home is in Spark Jump 4G or 4G 700 coverage – easy to check at www.spark.co.nz/shop/internet/wirelessbroadband
If you meet all these conditions, register through Stepping UP for a free, 2 hour easy-paced Spark Jump workshop at your friendly local library, community centre or Spark Jump provider – see map in side bar for locations. (You can zoom in and click on the icons for full details.)
If there is no course shown in your locality, contact your local Spark Jump provider – see ‘Spark Jump Partner’ map in side bar for locations. (Contact us if there is no provider near you – we are expanding to new areas.)
At the workshop your friendly tutor will take you step-by-step through :
- Learning about the Spark Jump pre-pay wireless internet service
- Checking your home address is in Spark Jump 4G or 4G 700 coverage
- Setting up the Spark Jump service on the loan Skinny Broadband Modem you will be provided with
- Signing a straightforward Kawa of Care agreement
You will walk out with a working, tested internet modem and connection you can just plug in and use in your home with your digital device!
If you already have a digital device (smartphone, tablet, Chromebook or laptop computer), bring this with you to the workshop so that the tutor can help you set up the wifi connection to your Spark Jump modem.
What happens if it stops working or I hit a problem?
Usually this means that your pre-pay has run out. You can easily check your balance online – you’ll try this in the workshop. Just buy $15 worth of Skinny top-up vouchers at one of the thousands of retailers – supermarkets, dairies, computer stores, petrol stations. Skinny does not have $15 vouchers just yet, so you’ll need to ask for two vouchers – a $10 one and a $5 one.
If it’s not that, just bring your Skinny modem and digital device back to the library or centre where you had your workshop and they’ll sort it out.
If you’ve other What ifs, have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page.